Friday, February 22, 2008

Baby Please One More Time...

I must ask your forgiveness for taking so long to update and particularly to Afrobabe, QoMC,DL, RDiva, TDiva, Indy and others who had asked me to update but not write about football.

Well, I am updating but its a football update. The original title of this post was to be 'Fare gut, Herr Vogts' (Farewell, Herr Vogts), but I couldn't resist the above. So please Baby, just one more time .....

Just in case you don't know yet, Bertie Vogts is no longer the Coach of Nigeria's Super Eagles and thats official. There are conflicting reports whether he resigned or was asked to resign or was fired. Any which way, he's out.

When I wrote about this after our loss to Ghana, I didn't know it would turn out to be rather prophetic, I was just writing out of my own disappointment and I know Nigerians don't like being disappointed.

While some say he did his best with the team and all that, the basic truth is just that Vogts was not the right man for the job. There was no fit. Someone summarized it thus in the Guardian of today:

'Vogts is a typical German. He was able to instill some discipline in team but did not properly understand the mentality of the African player and how to bring out the best in him...'. Just like I said.

Vogts failed. End of story.

Next.

2 comments:

guerreiranigeriana said...

yes!...i cheered when i read that...who will replace him?...

...and wow!!!...thank you for the insight about yoruba tradition of passing/talking about sex...i am pretty familiar with that of the efiks...always wondered about yoruba...thank you...we must ressurect it o!!!!...it is needed...

Afrobabe said...

lol...you just couldn't help it could you??????/

Recent Comments